Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 15:58:12 -0800
From: Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
To: "kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com" <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>
Cc: elena.reshetova@...el.com, "Schaufler, Casey" <casey.schaufler@...el.com>,
	"Leibowitz, Michael" <michael.leibowitz@...el.com>
Subject: Re: Understanding the JIT Hardening feature

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 6:34 AM, Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net> wrote:
> Hi Elena,
>
> On 01/18/2016 10:22 AM, Reshetova, Elena wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> I got to spend some time reading the 3.15 grsecurity patch with regards to
>> JIT hardening feature and wanted to share my thoughts on what the patch
>> was
>> attempting to do.
>>
>> It seems that the bulk of changes was done in bpf_jit_compile() function
>> (corresponds to the do_jit() 4.4 function).
>>
>> The way how it was done was to generate a random value (randkey =
>> prandom_u32();) and then use that value to dilute (by xor with this value)
>> the the four cases of operations:
>>
>> case BPF_S_ALU_MUL_K: /* A *= K */
>>
>> case BPF_S_ALU_MOD_K: /* A %= K; */
>>
>> case BPF_S_ALU_DIV_K: /* A /= K */
>>
>> case BPF_S_ALU_AND_X:
>

> Hm, you mean BPF_S_ALU_AND_K I presume?
>
> Yeah, that mitigation as implemented makes absolute sense to me. You blind
> at
> least the 32bit constants away by xor with randkey.
>
> [...]
>>
>> Another part of the patch was making changes to the bpf_alloc_binary()
>> function. That part I don't really understand since it didn't seem to make
>> any security improvements, but merely setting the header length to be 128
>> ad
>> changing the bpf_binary_header pointer structure. If this change is to be
>> moved to the latest kernel, modifications to the
>> <http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?i=bpf_jit_binary_alloc>
>> bpf_jit_binary_alloc() function (kernel/bpf/core.c) are needed as well as
>> changes in  <http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?i=bpf_binary_header>
>> bpf_binary_header pointer structure (include/linux/filter.h). But again, I
>> do not understand what security improvements these changes make and why
>> they
>> were done at the first place.
>

> I don't know the patch set deeply enough, but that part, I believe, is a PaX
> specific simplification. It doesn't need the struct bpf_binary_header and
> can
> thus remove this bit of code. The image is written with pax_open_kernel()/
> pax_close_kernel() pair, and f.e. set_memory_ro() can be removed as PaX
> already
> comes with native protections that handle such things.

I would agree: this was likely improvements for KERNEXEC and CONSTIFY.

Daniel, did we end up with a generic way to make sure all the JITs end
up in read-only memory once they're done being built? I know it got
fixed in a few cases, but it wasn't clear to me if they all got fixed.

> [...]
> was such a case/bug longer time ago that got fixed.
>
>> The above doesn't seem to go very much in line with what Daniel suggested
>> earlier:
>>
>> "We agreed that the way to go would be to try mitigating it on a BPF
>> bytecode level iff feasible. For example, by expanding/rewriting things
>> like
>> time newly generated) prandom_u32()/.. value followed by ii) xor on the
>> same
>> reg with that prandom value itself."
>>
>> It is also very likely that I didn't understand what you mean Daniel. So
>> some clarification questions:
>>
>> -          would you agree with the places where the original grsecurity
>> patch attempts to add randomization or do you think places should be
>> different?
>>
>> -          for the actual randomization, are you proposing to enhance it
>> by
>> not only xor to a prandom_u32() but also xor with the same reg? Could you
>> explain what do you mean by this part?
>

> To answer both, hopefully ...
>
> I am simply saying that before we go and change every JIT there is in the
> kernel, we should give it a try and rewrite BPF instructions first (so BPF
> byte code, I mean). That way, JITs would /not/ need to be changed, and would
> effectively emit something similar to the image /transparently/. So changes
> need to be done in BPF core code instead of JITs. Underlying idea to blind
> them out is the same, of course (/how/ you blind them is implementation
> detail).
> If that path would not be feasible at all for some very good reasons, then
> we
> can still look into changing the JITs themselves. If you look into the git
> history of some of the JITs, there are some rather bad bugs that got fixed.
> So, we should try hard to solve this on a generic level first, and if it
> turns out to work well **, then we don't need to add further complexity to
> each JIT eventually (x86 is just one, but there are arm, arm64, ppc, mips,
> sparc, s390 as well).
>
>  **: Also in terms of performance, what I mean by that is: iff due to all
> the
> mitigation/complexity added, we turn out to become almost as slow as
> interpreter
> case, then a disabling CONFIG_BPF_JIT in your config might simply be the
> better
> mitigation option ;). I think we should still be faster, but it certainly
> needs to be checked, too.
>
>> I was also trying to find more info about how JIT code itself works, but
>> wasn't able to find anything reasonable, so have to make all my statements
>> from just reading the code, which turned out isn't the most easiest thing
>> understand for smbd not familiar with topic.  So, any pointers to the
>> reading material, if exist, are very much appreciated.
>

> Here's some rudimentary documentation on the topic in general (yeah, could

Elena, as you learn the JIT code, could you improve this
documentation, too? That would be quite valuable. :)

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Chrome OS & Brillo Security