Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 00:53:32 +0100
From: Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>
To: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
CC: "keescook@...omium.org" <keescook@...omium.org>,
 elena.reshetova@...el.com
Subject: Re: Introduction and task request

On 01/11/2016 10:44 AM, Reshetova, Elena wrote:
>> On 01/06/2016 12:57 AM, Kees Cook wrote:

>>> I guess ideally people subscribed to this list want all exploits to
>>> be stopped
>>> :) But seriously I don't have any preference at least for now. Since
>>> I will have to learn a lot in this area I want to start from
>>> something which would be a reasonable and useful for this project
>>> piece of work, that's why I was asking for suggestions.

>>> Thank you!

>>> Casey is taking care of that, so I will leave it to him.

>>>    This sounds smth that I can look into. I will be back when I have
>>> something reasonable ready or researched enough for sensible
>>> questions/discussion points. I will be away for long holidays until
>>> Jan 10, but hoping to return with plenty of energy :)
>>
>> The original name was JIT_HARDEN, prior to grsecurity's 3.16 patches
>> (which just disable JIT entirely):
>> https://github.com/slashbeast/grsecurity-scrape/blob/master/test/grsec
>> urity-3.0-3.15.5-201407170639.patch
>>
>> I think it'd be nice to have the the JIT hardening feature, since it
>> does block heap-sprayed immediate values and probably other stuff, but
>> I haven't studied it.
>
>> Was on my todo list as well for some time, but if you have some cycles in
>> spare, go for it. We recently discussed that it would be nice if it could be
>> done on a more generic level, in the sense to do [e]BPF insns rewrite for
>> blinding, so that each JIT would not >need to add up even more complexity
>> and/or duplicate efforts.
>
> Do you have any pointers for this discussion that I can read it also?

Sorry, this was just a private conversation during Plumbers, iirc. We agreed
that the way to go would be to try mitigating it on a BPF bytecode level iff
feasible. For example, by expanding/rewriting things like loading constants
into a i) load where the constant is xored with a (each time newly generated)
prandom_u32()/.. value followed by ii) xor on the same reg with that prandom
value itself. And that functionality would be enabled f.e. via sysctl switch.
That would be a first direction to look into, and could help also some more
"exotic" archs like the jit on mips, etc.

Thanks,
Daniel