Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:04:08 +0100
From: HacKurx <hackurx@...il.com>
To: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Binary blobs

Le 2015-11-09 23:20, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu a écrit :
> On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 22:59:31 +0100, HacKurx said:
>> The binary blobs are a potential for undetectable or irreparable
>> security flaws (Andrews Jeremy "Interview: Theo de Raadt",
>> KernelTrap).
>>
>> What is your point of view? Linux-libre kernel is the only reliable
>> basis?
>
> Closed source is by definition not easily examined for security issues
> (though
> once you get to monsters like LibreOffice or Firefox, even open source
> code
> is difficult to audit).
>
> The problem is that at the current time, not all software is easily
> opened. For
> example, the single biggest reason (among several) that NVidia has a
> binary
> blob driver is that (simplifying *drastically* here) when SGI's
> graphics
> division imploded, NVidia got all the engineers - but Microsoft snarfed
> up a
> bunch of patents connected to OpenGL.  So NVidia had no realistic
> choice but to
> license the intellectual property from Microsoft.
>
> So out in the real world, you have to look at your threat model, and
> decide
> how paranoid you are.  (Personally, I'd be more worried about the
> open-sourced
> Firefox code than I would the NVidia binary blob.  The former has got a
> *huge*
> attack surface compared to the latter....)

Yes indeed. But for your information you can use Firefox with MPROTECT
and all hardened options for GCC.
http://hardenedgentoo.blogspot.fr/2012/02/firefox-1001-mprotect-strikes-again.html

Disable in firefox: methodjit, tracejit & ion. The performance remains
very good :)

Okay, thanks for the clarifications

--
Best regards,