Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 11:33:15 +0100
From: Quentin Casasnovas <quentin.casasnovas@...cle.com>
To: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Kernel Self Protection Project

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 11:02:47AM +0100, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 07 2015, Quentin Casasnovas <quentin.casasnovas@...cle.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2015-11-06, Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org> wrote:

> >> Sure, what's the URL?
> >>

> > I've pushed the three of them onto:
> >
> >   https://github.com/casasnovas/linux/commits/quentin-spk-gcc-plugin
> >
> > It lacks Documentation for now, but you can have a look at the branch
> > quentin-fuzz-gccplugin which adds an instrumentation plugin (converted from
> > the gcc patch[1] Dmitry Vyukov wrote for syzkaller[2]).
> >
> > Adding a plugin should be simple, add its name to $(HOSTLIBS)-y, and use
> > the regular kbuild system way to specify from which source files it is
> > built, CFLAGS, etc.
> >
> >   $(HOSTLIBS)-y = foo.so
> >   foo-objs = foo.c bar.c
> >
> > And then to have some compilations units be compiled using foo.so, they
> > just need the following in their CFLAGS:
> >
> >  -fplugin=$(objtree)/path/to/foo.so
>
> Nice, thanks. But wouldn't it be even more userfriendly to have these
> things driven by Kconfig? So let (use of) each plugin depend on a
> CONFIG_GCCPLUGIN_XYZ variable, which will automatically turn itself off
> (with a warning) if that plugin can't be used for whatever
> reason. That'll also give a natural place to say a little about the
> plugin (though I also think Documentation/gccplugins/* should be
> created). We could hide these behind CONFIG_USE_GCCPLUGINS to make it
> easy for people to turn off.

Ah agreed, this was just so people could get started quickly.  The way to
do this is to include your plugin flags inside the Makefile variable
GCC_PLUGIN_CFLAGS, which is exported and stuffed to the KBUILD_CFLAGS.

So if you have plugin foo.so that you want to be used for all of the
compilation units (and which depends on CONFIG_FOO), then it should be as
simple as doing this in the top-level Makefile:

ifeq ($(CONFIG_FOO),y)
 GCC_PLUGIN_CFLAGS += -fplugin=$(objtree)/path/to/foo.so
endif

The grsecurity/PaX patchset already deals with gcc version and
GCC_PLUGIN_CFLAGS will only be exported if your gcc version supports
plugins, otherwise it'll dump a warning and carry on compiling your kernel.

Hope that clarifies things :)

> I suppose some plugins are really all-or-nothing (e.g. when randomizing
> structs, the various TUs better agree on what shuffling has been done),
> so for them it doesn't make sense to apply to individual C files.

It was probably a bad example on my side, you'll probably indeed compile
your plugins for the whole kernel as opposed to per-file (it's just that
I'm using the instrumentation plugin from syzkaller on just a few files at
the moment.. so it's the first example that came to my mind).

> Is something done to ensure that, and if not, can it be done with some
> linker magic? (Something like putting a hash of the used random seed in
> each object file and make the linker complain if there are distinct
> definitions of that magic symbol.)

I believe/hope the kernel would have trouble booting if there was such a
disreptancy here, though this check sounds like a sensible thing to add to
be notified early of such unexpected cases!

Quentin