Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 15:48:40 -0500
From: Will Drewry <wad@...omium.org>
To: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
Cc: Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>, Indan Zupancic <indan@....nu>,
	Roland McGrath <mcgrathr@...gle.com>, Eric Paris <netdev@...isplace.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org,
	kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com, mingo@...hat.com, oleg@...hat.com,
	peterz@...radead.org, rdunlap@...otime.net, tglx@...utronix.de, luto@....edu,
	eparis@...hat.com, serge.hallyn@...onical.com, pmoore@...hat.com,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, corbet@....net, eric.dumazet@...il.com,
	markus@...omium.org, coreyb@...ux.vnet.ibm.com, keescook@...omium.org
Subject: Re: seccomp and ptrace. what is the correct order?

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:34 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@...or.com> wrote:
> The proposed patch seems to duplicate the functionality in
> <asm/syscall.h>.  Those macros also try to do the right thing in the
> presence of compat.

That was my first thought too, so I ran a few simple tests.  gcc isn't
smart enough to not add ~344 bytes of code to get the number and
arguments for the x86/kernel/ptrace.c case I included (in the
naive-est of integrations).  But I don't know that it justifies the
extra patchwork or enforcing shared code across arches.

Regardless, the syscall entry + trace code can use some attention
across the architectures. I don't know that
one-more-layer-of-abstraction is the right answer (rather than just
fixing the code). The biggest benefit would be having one-true
syscall_trace_entry slow path. That said, the fast paths will be
forever divergent so the opportunity for bugs like the ones pointed
out will still be there.

cheers!
will