Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 14:04:53 +0200
From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To: Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
Cc: solar@...nwall.com, Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com,
	Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...otime.net>,
	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	"Serge E. Hallyn" <serge.hallyn@...onical.com>,
	Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@...e.fr>,
	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>, Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>,
	linux-doc@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] ipc: introduce shm_rmid_forced sysctl

* Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 13:25 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > Furthermore, if testing shows that this is not actually breaking
> > anything in a serious way we could also in theory simplify the patch
> > and just make this the default behavior with no runtime ability to
> > switch it off.
>
> I'm afraid it's impossible.  From -ow readme:
>
> "Of course, this breaks the way things are defined, so some
> applications might stop working. In particular, expect most
> commercial databases to break. Apache and PostgreSQL are known to
> work, though. :-)"
>
> http://www.openwall.com/linux/README.shtml
>
> But as it was written in days of Linux 2.4.x, the situation could
> have changed.  A desktop system seems to work.

As we really prefer working systems over non-working ones (and lots
of unattached shm segments can clearly result in a non-working
system) we can only accept the "this will break stuff" argument if
it's *demonstrated* to break stuff and if the failure scenario is
carefully described in the commit.

It would take a serious breakage to override a "system locks up
swapping itself to death" failure scenario.

Thanks,

	Ingo