Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 19:04:56 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: excessive memory usage when running john - 90 gigabytes

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 05:01:16PM -0700, jeff wrote:
> I am running john-1.9.0-jumbo-1-win64 on a windows 10 pro computer.
> The computer has 128gb of ram and an amd epyc processor with 16 cores
> and 32 threads.
> I am currently trying to find 4 descrypt passwords with john.
>
> When I run john, and looking at the task manager performance tab, the
> system is using 99.3 gigabytes of memory.
> When i stop john, the system is using about 8gb or memory.
> The task manager process view tab shows john using 65.0 megabytes of memory.
>
> I am quite curious what part of john is using 90 gigabytes of ram, and
> why it is using so much memory.

We'll need to know more about your invocation of john to tell.  For
example, are you running it on a wordlist this large, which could be
getting memory-mapped?  JtR was overzealous with memory-mapping of
wordlists, which we've since corrected, but I don't know how exactly
that would have manifested on Windows.

Please try a newer build linked from the "Download Windows Build" badge
in README.md at https://github.com/openwall/john

Alexander