Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 00:21:12 -0300
From: Rodrigo s <rodrigozanattasilva@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John the Ripper in the cloud update 2023/02

Hi Alexander.

Really thanks for your help! I am really happy to say that it works now.

All I did was exactly what that link said
<https://towardsthecloud.com/amazon-ec2-requested-more-vcpu-capacity>  to
do. I put a random number like 80. After a day the AWS accepted.

Summary of service quota(s) requested for increase:
[US East (Northern Virginia)]: EC2 Instances / nu.general (All
Standard (A, C, D, H, I, M, R, T, Z) instances), New Limit = 80

Now... I can't say if it was what you did to solve the problem. But, after
I try again, using the same default configuration, it works without any
problem and I have the Linux console. I can learn more and understand how
all of it works.

But I am a little disappointed. I thought it could be extremely faster than
what I can do myself on my computer. In my test (trying a random format I
was using), it was doing  about 12.555KC/s in each thread, so 12,5k *2 =
25KC/S. In my computer the same operation make 4,3KC/s in 12 threads or
about 50KC/S

Because we can easily "build" a new computer in AWS, I thought this bundle
could have the best possible configuration. What really makes the program
work faster? I always have this question in my mind. So, with AWS I could
test it.

What do you think about it? Is there a cheap configuration in AWS? Or to it
work, I just need to pay for the most expensive options in AWS? There is no
shortcut for it?

I really would like to help with this AWS project. Because I am still a
noob, I can just think about how to do it. But I can study if you say that
what I show makes sense :)