Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 08:43:43 +0200
From: magnum <magnumripper@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Should I see special characters in status updates?

On 2022-10-12 08:32, Ashildan V wrote:
> I tried the following:
>
> *john -stdout -inc:ascii | findstr #*
>
> and the response was that john.rec was locked.

That means john is already running, assumably your cracking session.  I
believe it's in the FAQ.  Add a --session option with a unique name (eg.
"--session=foobar") to your command above.

> P.S. - I'm on day 25. I'm getting 170p/s (and all the other metrics). I'm
> pretty sure I used a special character in the password. Is there a way for
> me to estimate how long it'll take for JTR to start trying
> special characters?

It will do so early (candidate number 37,706 contains a "!"), but your
password might take millions of years to crack anyway: For example, a
random password of lemgth 8 has a keyspace of 95^8, or
6,634,204,312,890,625.  Given a speed of 170p/s and average luck, you'll
crack it in 618,733 years.  If your password is not random, it might
crack sooner.

magnum