Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 16:55:56 +0000
From: Foamy Mai Tai <foamymaitai@...me>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: RE: More CPU cores vs faster base frequency

Thanks for the reply!

> are you sure these are indeed cores?

It would appear so:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=120475,120489

> What about:
>
> 20 x 2,4 = 48
> 4 x 3,6 = 14,4

I agree, that math suggests a clear winner.  I just wasn't sure if there was some cost to parallelizing (apologies if incorrect term) john over numerous cores that I was neglecting to consider than might tip the scale in favor of higher base frequency.

Also, I mainly focused my CPU search around three variables: # of cores, frequency, and AVX-512 capability.  Do any other variables (L3 cache size, max memory speed, other specific feature, etc) matter for this purpose?

Again, many thanks!