Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 17:41:39 +0200
From: p+password@...atpro.net
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: brute forcing AES key

Hello,

I have a string, result of encryption by an App.
The code for encryption of this App is visible here: <https://github.com/Anubis901/SafeCrypto/blob/main/lib/encryption.dart>
It looks to me that the dev of this App is missing something important: he did not use a derivation fonction to create a secret key, he uses the user provided password directly as an encryption key.
So I guess it would be feasible to use a password cracker software like JtR to brute force the password / key and decrypt the string I have.

Is that possible with JtR, if at all?

thanks
patpro