Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 12:21:11 +0200
From: Harlock <harlock8@....it>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: is it possible to run jumbo john 1.9 on multiple
 windows machines?

On 8/18/21 5:21 PM, magnum wrote:
> On 2021-08-18 12:09, Harlock wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I 'm actually running this task on windows:
>>
>> john.exe --format=bitlocker-opencl
>> --mask=?d?d?d?d?d?d[-]?d?d?d?d?d?d[-]?d?d?d?d?d?d[-]?d?d?d?d?d?d[-]?d?d?d?d?d?d[-]?d?d?d?d?d?d[-]?d?d?d?d?d?d[-]?d?d?d?d?d?d
>> hash_to_crack.txt
>>
>> I read about the --node option and I was wondering if I can split the
>> work among multiple machines, if yes, can you please support me to
>> configure the process?
>
> Let's say you divide the work among 10 machines. On the first one
> you'd say --node=1/10, on the second you'd say --node=2/10 instead,
> and so on.
>
> Or you could divide it into work-pieces using the same option: Pick a
> huge node number such as 1000000, then have something keep track of
> which pieces are done and which are not. To attack piece number 42,
> the syntax is --node=42/1000000.
>
> Having said that, your task is impossible: The keyspace for 48 unknown
> digits is 1.0E+48 (ten to the power of 48). If you split the job among
> all GPU's in the entire world, it will *still* take way way *way*
> longer to crack (given average luck) than the time since last Big
> Bang. Winning the EuroJackpot five consecutive times in a row would be
> more likely (literally, unless I miscalculated it). Or put another
> way: Not even the first piece from the second example above,
> --node=1/1000000, would "ever" complete.
>
> magnum

Hi Magnum,

Thanks for your reply, from what I understand it's pointless also just
to think about it. So now I'm feeling a bit lost about what to do with
the laptop of my friend.

This is what happened:

https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-10/BitLocker-need-a-key-but-I-never-installed-it/td-p/6019486

I tried the suggestions in the link but none of them worked for me.

Then I tried Bitleaker

https://github.com/kkamagui/bitleaker

but it seems the BIOS of the laptop is too new, perhaps I could try to
downgrade to the oldest available and retry, what 's your opinion?

Got a thread opened there too:

https://github.com/kkamagui/bitleaker/issues/8

Honestly I don't know how to proceed and if there is a way to recover

I really need some suggestions