Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 16:50:12 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking passphrases

On 2021-06-27 09:29, David Sontheimer wrote:
> I am curious how you would use John to crack the following password
> generation heuristic:
>
> A passphrase, limited to combinations of words from a wordlist of
> four-letter words. A passphrase may contain one to four words.

Assuming we're talking about Jumbo, this sounds like a perfect use case
for PRINCE mode: You give it a single wordlist containing all possible
words and that mode will produce any combinations of words from it
(including "samesamesamesame" which might not be what you want but the
numbers of such dupes are too small to care about filtering out).

You can put a (min or) max of how many elements will be put together but
given the default output length happen to be 16 it shouldn't be needed
assuming all words are length 4.  OTOH you can try the shorter
candidates first (should be finished quickly) like this:

./john -prince=4words.txt --prince-elem-cnt-max=1 hashfile
./john -prince=4words.txt --prince-elem-cnt-min=2
--prince-elem-cnt-max=2 hashfile
./john -prince=4words.txt --prince-elem-cnt-min=3
--prince-elem-cnt-max=3 hashfile
./john -prince=4words.txt --prince-elem-cnt-min=4 hashfile

magnum