Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 07:31:34 +0800
From: Ian B <Ian.Blakeley@...lhouse-communications.co.uk>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Extracting the hash from MS word

On 27/04/2021 23:05 magnum penned these words:
> On 2021-04-27 03:14, Ian B wrote:
>> I am going through an old directory and binning/checking some old
>> documents ~2005/6 there's a few encrypted word documents for which I
>> have forgotten the password. I successfully recovered the hash and hence
>> the password from a few with the office2john.py script. However, for two
>> of them this fails with the following issue
>>
>> em1.doc : invalid keySize
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>     File "./office2john.py", line 3148, in <module>
>>       ret = process_file(sys.argv[i].decode("utf8"))
>>     File "./office2john.py", line 3109, in process_file
>>       passinfo = find_rc4_passinfo_doc(filename, workbookStream)
>>     File "./office2john.py", line 2553, in find_rc4_passinfo_doc
>>       if typ == 3:
>> UnboundLocalError: local variable 'typ' referenced before assignment
>
> Are you using latest code from GitHub? If not, try office2john from
> https://github.com/openwall/john/raw/bleeding-jumbo/run/office2john.py
> and if that seem to work better you should probably upgrade all the rest
> of john as well (https://github.com/openwall/john - fresh binaries are
> available too).
>
> If latest code give you an error, we have a bug somewhere. If you're
> willing to share one of those files with us (or just me, in private
> email) we can have a look at it.

Yep it is the latest, to be sure I just grabbed the one form your link,
identical issue. I'll email you the document, I doubt after 15 years or so it
is of interest just trying to check before I scrap :D I spent way too much
time but now I am intrigued to know what it is and why it is proving tough.

--
Ian