Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 17:05:11 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Extracting the hash from MS word

On 2021-04-27 03:14, Ian B wrote:
> I am going through an old directory and binning/checking some old
> documents ~2005/6 there's a few encrypted word documents for which I
> have forgotten the password. I successfully recovered the hash and hence
> the password from a few with the office2john.py script. However, for two
> of them this fails with the following issue
>
> em1.doc : invalid keySize
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "./office2john.py", line 3148, in <module>
>      ret = process_file(sys.argv[i].decode("utf8"))
>    File "./office2john.py", line 3109, in process_file
>      passinfo = find_rc4_passinfo_doc(filename, workbookStream)
>    File "./office2john.py", line 2553, in find_rc4_passinfo_doc
>      if typ == 3:
> UnboundLocalError: local variable 'typ' referenced before assignment

Are you using latest code from GitHub? If not, try office2john from
https://github.com/openwall/john/raw/bleeding-jumbo/run/office2john.py
and if that seem to work better you should probably upgrade all the rest
of john as well (https://github.com/openwall/john - fresh binaries are
available too).

If latest code give you an error, we have a bug somewhere. If you're
willing to share one of those files with us (or just me, in private
email) we can have a look at it.

magnum