Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 21:37:58 +0100
From: MichaƂ Majchrowicz <sectroyer@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Setting node values in heterogenous systems.

> 1. Print the specific combinations of "--fork" and "--node" options to
> use (assuming these are the only systems), not just the virtual node
> counts.  These options could then be directly copied on the command
> lines of the systems.  (If there are more systems, then the user of this
> script would need to make adjustments.)
I was thinking about it and wanted to add that but script has no
concept about other nodes and I assumed people will use use it only
for "hard ones". Tough if you think printing sample output only for
those two/three nodes I will add it.

> 2. Find and report the best match, not the first with error within 2%.
Also thought about that but numbers are quickly becoming big so wanted
to stop the search asap. I remember you saying that there are some
issues with "big node numbers" so that's why I decided to print first
one. Is there any upper limit that I could use?

> 3. With the above, don't fail hard if the error of the best match is
> higher than 2%.  Just print what it is.
Ok, Will do that

> 4. Cleaner source code style, copyright+license, comment on what the
> script is for, contribution via a pull request.
OK, will clean up it was supposed to be just a poc to "start discussion"

> Difficult:
>
> 5. Support finding these numbers for more than 2 systems at once.  (This
> goal might be conflicting with always finding the best match, as this
> could become time-consuming and result in too high virtual node counts.)
I think current (naive) approach could scaled up to 3, maybe 4. For
more I think there might needed some more "mathematic approach" to
this issue. I think there should be some algorithm that does what we
want just I don't know it :)