Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 13:22:38 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: password patterns (was: Multi-gpu setup)

On 2021-03-12 20:48, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 04:08:39PM +0100, Micha?? Majchrowicz wrote:
>> Does incremental mode also support --node switch?
>
> Yes.  All modes do, albeit with varying efficiency.
>
> Incremental mode currently has a scalability issue with large node
> counts - the portions of work might become too non-uniform, and
> eventually there might not be enough of them at all.  It should work
> OK up to about 100 nodes, but will gradually start having issues at
> multiple hundred and into the thousands.

And that's the normal full incremental mode. Using eg. --inc:digits will
hit poor territory with much lower node counts.

But what I primarily wanted to air is I wonder if our current code will
behave worse with very large number of nodes even if the *ranges* is not
very small? For example: Does -node=1-30/100 or -node=1-300/1000 have
more such issues than --node=1-3/10? I intend to have a look at that. If
it does, we might want to tweak it: Splitting a job by eg. percentage
can be convenient.

magnum