Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 11:49:15 +0100
From: MichaƂ Majchrowicz <sectroyer@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Splitting mask keyspace

Sorry for repost but I thought it's our previous conversation :D

I have some results from testing --fork option. On a test node it was
working pretty stable but to be honest I don't like the idea of
"overbooking forks". It does kinda work but has limited functionality.
If I have see2, avx and avx2 nodes with same number of cores I have to
use 8, 16 and 32 in order to correctly "overbook". The issue is that
on some of multi core machines I don't want to use all cores for john.
I understand why it's designed like this but since I can already
overbook forks it would be nice to have an option to ONLY overbook
node option so it would be divisible by number of forks. I think
adding this would be much simpler than splitting the correlation
between fork and node and would solve my issue :)