Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 15:00:45 +0100
From: Marek Wrzosek <marek.wrzosek@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Splitting mask keyspace

W dniu 03.03.2021 o 13:02, Michał Majchrowicz pisze:
> Yes I noticed hashes number has significant impact I am trying to use
> real world (IoT based) examples to perform my tests and this is my
> main focus but can see how it impacts with some higher number of
> generated ones

Sometimes less is better, than more.

Instead of using the default/large wordlists with popular passwords, you
can generate your custom wordlist.

https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-to/create-custom-wordlists-for-password-cracking-using-mentalist-0183992/

This article has in mind personal passwords, but in your case the hashes
can store passwords for the administrator account and they can be more
secure than average Joe's passwords, but it still created by a human
being, more tech savvy but still a human (but it can be a random password).

There is a possibility, you're trying to break same password with
different salts, so you can attack less hashes (even a single hash) and
if succeeded, use a loopback mode to check other hashes. Loopback mode
is like wordlist, you can use rules and masks with it.

Some administrators think, they're creating safer password by applying
e.g. MD5 or SHA-1 to some easy password and then use a fragment of the
hash. So, instead of using lower or upper case ascii characters, you can
try hex digits.

Be the ball ;-)