Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 13:57:50 +0100
From: MichaƂ Majchrowicz <sectroyer@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Implementing mixed mask attack

> I understand you're playing with descrypt to test approaches you'd reuse
> for other hashes, but FWIW "pure ?a mask" _is_ an option for descrypt.

Yes I understand that but on my current hw it takes "ages" ;) I am
currently reusing already existent hw to learn and prototype.

> For example, with "--format=descrypt-ztex" on 4 boards (16 FPGAs) here
> it's 20 days max (10 average?) against one descrypt hash:
>
> 95^8/3800/10^6/86400 = 20.21
>
> With hashcat, you can also have this speed on a couple of high-end GPUs.
> (JtR's descrypt-opencl is currently slower on those.)

I noticed descrypt-opencl here is significantly faster than hashcat on
dict based attacks. Anyway I am still researching all of this. If this
research continues and I don't "hit a wall" I will switch to more
up-to-date hw. BTW since now bitcoin miners are buying GPUs by pallets
I heard it's good idea to buy used hw that often they often sell (at
reasonable price) when switching to newer cards etc. Is this
reasonable to buy something like that or is it just "a fairytale" ? :)