Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 16:19:07 +0100
From: "Anton Berggren" <antonb@...e.se>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Sv: Cracking rar password with rar-opencl

Something else to try?
rockyou-list gave me nothing.

/Anton

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
Skickat: den 9 januari 2021 16:48
Till: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Ämne: Re: [john-users] Cracking rar password with rar-opencl

On Sat, Jan 09, 2021 at 04:38:18PM +0100, Anton Berggren wrote:
> Looks like my CPU is the only device being used now.
> In previous session my GPU was used. We determined that GPU had better
> performance.
>
> C:\Users\Anton\Downloads\john-1.9.0-jumbo-1-win64\run>john
> --format=rar-opencl --session=rockyou --wordlist=rockyou.txt
> rar.hashes Device 1: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz

This suggests that something changed in your system setup.  By default, JtR
uses what it thinks is likely the fastest OpenCL device, and perhaps it was
correctly choosing your NVIDIA GPU before.  If it doesn't do that now, then
perhaps your NVIDIA GPU is somehow not available now - e.g., uninstalled
driver or something.

If you continue with using the CPU, then you'd probably get slightly better
speeds by not using OpenCL.

Alexander