Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 15:26:27 +0100
From: r.wiesbach@....de
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: dmg-opencl low performance/ low gpu utilisation

Hi,

I use dmg-opencl on a two Radeon RX 580 system.

However the dmg-opencl has very low utilisation and a speed of only
about 2500 pw/s.

--test

shows Raw 46500 c/s real and 3300 c/s virtual

Device 2 (same GPU model as device 1) seems not to be used by default,
but using
--devices=1,2 --fork=2
there is at most a slight increase in performance (not doubling the pw/s
as one would expect)

Knowing that some opencl-kernels do not perform well (without rules) I tried
--wordlist=wordlist.txt
--wordlist=wordlist.txt --rules
--wordlist=wordlist.txt --rules=best64
--incremental

Additionally i tried using more hashes (5) and the pw/s droped to about
500p/w. As this is 1/5th of 2500 this is the same speed but still low
utilization.
The wordlist has a size of about 100MB.

I did not see an open issue for dmg-opencl on the isssue tracker, so I
assume there is some mistake I make that I do not notice. Which mistake
is it?

Thank you.