Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 17:01:24 +0100
From: François <francois.pesce@...il.com>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Rules characters unicode support.

Alexander,

I've just finished writing the john.conf using your micro-optimization
trick.

Three last questions before creating a pull request:
1- On my experimental file I'm working on, this rule is surprisingly
effective (hundreds of pass cracked), however, I specifically does
not have uppercase in my sample, so my john.conf change just
contains lowercase utf-8, do you want me to add uppercase?

2- Correct me if I'm wrong but there are no obvious search and
replace strategy for any pattern of more than one letter in john rules
engine; I'm thinking two-letter substitution to one unicode,
specifically:
# Latin small letter thorn (th) -> þ
# Latin small letter ae -> æ
# Latin small letter oe -> œ
# Latin small letter eszett (ss) -> ß
I think those would be efficient additions too.

3- Do you want me to provide the rules in a best-match order,
it might get a bit confusing, I can group by best unicode substitution
order.

Francois Pesce