Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 12:46:13 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Get the password for a really old MZP exe

Robert,

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 08:48:05PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I found an old Windows executable that seems to be in MZP format. Of
> course passworded and like 20? years old so no idea what the password is.
>
> I am running John on Fedora.  How do I extract the password hash to
> provide it to John?

Out of executable files, we only support those that are actually
self-extracting archives of one of the types we support.  So please give
these 3 tools a try:

We have some self-extracting archive support in rar2john and 7z2john.pl.

We don't have explicit self-extracting archive support in zip2john, but
I expect it'll work on self-extracting ZIP archives anyway.  With recent
versions (this year's), you might need the "-s" option:

Usage: ./zip2john [options] [zip file(s)]
 -s Scan archive from the beginning, looking for local file headers. This
    is less reliable than going by the central index, but might work better
    with corrupted or split archives.

With older versions, this was the default behavior, so this option was
not needed.

As usual, I recommend that you try our latest code off GitHub.

Alexander