Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 21:50:38 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cracking encrypted zip file

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 06:47:10AM +0100, Jasper Jones wrote:
> I got the following message when I started it:
> "Warning: detected hash type "ZIP", but the string is also recognised as
> "ZIP-opencl"
> Use the "--form=ZIP-opencl" option to force loading these as that type
> instead"
>
> Any issue with that?

No, but you can in fact try this suggestion to possibly use your GPU for
much speedup, if you do have a suitable GPU and driver installed.

> Then:
> "Using default input encoding: UTF8
> Loaded 1 password hash (ZIP, WinZip, [PKDF2-SHA1 128/128 AVX 4x1)"
>
> Does that look right? The reference to PKDF2-SHA1 instead of AES concerns
> me, but I appreciate that could just be my ignorance showing.

You've already figured this out (great!), but we might want to revise
this algorithm name string to also include AES.

As to the error you were getting originally:

> > That said, I'm still getting an error as well: "ver 5.1
> > wallet.zip/wallet.dat is not encrypted, or stored with non-handled
> > compression type".

It certainly looks like you have more than one file, or one file more
than once, in that archive.  It might even be that you have the
wallet.dat file in there in both encrypted and non-encrypted form.

Alternatively, we have a bug resulting in that spurious message.

> > I don't have zipinfo (I'm on Windows), but I could download a bootable
> > Linux distribution if that would help.

I guess you can get zipinfo on Windows if you install Cygwin.

> > 7zip itself gives some info about the compressed file:
> >
> > - attributes: An
> > - Encrypted: +
> > - Method: AES-256 Deflate
> >
> > (There's some other stuff about file size, dates, etc, but  assume it's
> > the encryption info that's needed?)

Yes, and also the listing of files.  Does it show just one file?

Alexander