Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 21:36:24 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Axymeus <axymeus@...il.com>
Subject: Re: opencl_device_info.h not found

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 01:44:40PM +0200, Axymeus wrote:
> I've been trying to enable OpenCL on Windows 10 Pro. After pointing
> the nvidia.icd file to nvopencl64.dll jtr is now able to find the
> device:
[...]
> But running john.exe --format=rar-opencl hash8.txt fails with the
> following error. What  can I do please? Thank you.
[...]
> Build log: <kernel>:20:10: fatal error: 'opencl_device_info.h' file not found
> #include "opencl_device_info.h"
>          ^
>
> Error building kernel /run/kernels/rar_kernel.cl. DEVICE_INFO=1048594
> 0: OpenCL CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE (-11) error in opencl_common.c:1386
> - clBuildProgram

This issue was reported a few times, but I think we never figured it
out.  It looks like the pathname somehow was not expanded properly -
note the leading slash before "/run".

I suggest that you try this workaround:

https://github.com/openwall/john/issues/3191#issuecomment-639818020

"Copy OpenCL.dll installed in C:\Windows\System32 to JtR's run
directory, and rename it to cygOpenCL-1.dll."

You didn't mention what version of JtR you were using, but by the
run/kernels pathname and line number 1386 I guess it's 1.9.0-jumbo-1.
We've since reworked the placement of OpenCL kernels, so that they're
now under run/opencl (not run/kernels), and more importantly are there
all the time instead of being copied to there at build time (although
this happens before packaging, if you downloaded binaries).  You might
want to try our latest development build from here:

https://github.com/openwall/john-packages/releases/tag/jumbo-dev

Please let us all know which one of these helped, if any.

Alexander