Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 23:09:45 +0200
From: Vincent <spam@...lab.nl>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: SIMD performance impact

Hi,

John can use instruction set specific optimizations to fully exploit
technology like SIMD. I haven't got CPUs that support AVX-512 but I'm
very interested in the possible performance gains. So my question is:
can someone with the latest generation CPU run a 'john --test' with
different instruction set binaries (for example SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2,
AVX-512) on the same CPU?

I think it might also be interesting to match current Intel (Core i9 &
Xeon) and AMD (Ryzen & Epyc) processors to see what the impact of
implementation details is (like Xeon AVX-512 versus Epyc AVX2).

Perhaps interesting to upgrade
<https://openwall.info/wiki/john/benchmarks> with all algorithms (since
some do not seem to be SIMD-accelerated) and with results based on
different instruction sets on the same CPU?

Thanks!

Cheers, V