Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 07:29:34 +0200
From: Albert Veli <albert.veli@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: sha512crypt-opencl / Self test failed (cmp_all(1))

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 1:39 AM Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 11:07 AM Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 05, 2020 at 10:47:23AM -0800, Royce Williams wrote:
> > > FWIW, I have recently been consistently getting the same self-test
> errors
> > > on sha512crypt-ztex.
> >
> > You can try troubleshooting your setup.  You can also try lowering the
> clock rate.
> >
> > Out of the 5 bitstreams, the sha512crypt+Drupal7 one consumes the most
> > power (and produces the most heat) when in active use.  It's about 44W
> > per board, vs. e.g. 27W for bcrypt.  (As measured at the 12V input.)  So
> > if e.g. some of your cooling fans failed, that may show up on
> > sha512crypt and Drupal7 first.
> I had no idea whether this issue was fork-related or OpenCL-related. For
> all I knew, the issue might only emerge when forking reaches a certain
> device count, which would explain why I'm seeing it on ZTEX when others
> might not.

I did not see the self test error on ZTEX. But I saw some other errors
on my setup, Aleksey saw them too on his setup. Something like this:

SN 04A36E226F FPGA #2 error: pkt_comm_status=0x01, debug=0x0000
SN 04A36E226F error -1 doing r/w of FPGAs (LIBUSB_ERROR_IO)
SN 04A36E226F: Timeout.

It happens after a while. Not every time but sometimes. It is usually
enough to power off the boards and power them on again (I have connected
the PSU to a Silver Shield power manager to do so remotely, a modbus I/O
could also be used for this).