Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 21:07:58 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: sha512crypt-opencl / Self test failed (cmp_all(1))

On Wed, Aug 05, 2020 at 10:47:23AM -0800, Royce Williams wrote:
> FWIW, I have recently been consistently getting the same self-test errors
> on sha512crypt-ztex.

Not exactly a topic for this thread (I wish you had started a new one
for that), but please do share more on those errors - what has changed
in your setup (hardware? John version?), are the errors for all boards
or only some, if only software changed then do the errors go away when
you revert?  Anyway, there's little we can do about that.  You can try
troubleshooting your setup.  You can also try lowering the clock rate.

Out of the 5 bitstreams, the sha512crypt+Drupal7 one consumes the most
power (and produces the most heat) when in active use.  It's about 44W
per board, vs. e.g. 27W for bcrypt.  (As measured at the 12V input.)  So
if e.g. some of your cooling fans failed, that may show up on
sha512crypt and Drupal7 first.

I'd show you how sha512crypt-ztex still passes self-test on my 4 boards,
but Aleksey is using them precisely for sha512crypt-ztex at the moment
for his skills warm-up for the upcoming contest.  So I assume it passed
self-test for him OK. ;-)

Alexander