Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 15:04:28 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Claudio Andre <claudioandre.br@...il.com>
Subject: Re: sha512crypt-opencl / Self test failed (cmp_all(1))

On Mon, Aug 03, 2020 at 11:19:35PM +0200, Luis Rocha wrote:
> When trying to run SHA512crypt on OpenCL I get the below error. Any ideas?

Looks like the usual kind of AMD OpenCL "driver" bugs.

>     Device #0 (1) name:     Hawaii
>     Device vendor:          Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
>     Device type:            GPU (LE)
>     Device version:         OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (2117.7)
>     Driver version:         2117.7 (VM) - Crimson

sha512crypt-opencl works for me on Vega 64 with:

    Device #0 (1) name:     gfx900
    Board name:             Radeon RX Vega
    Device vendor:          Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Device type:            GPU (LE)
    Device version:         OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (2766.4)
    Driver version:         2766.4 (PAL,HSAIL) - AMDGPU-Pro

but the speed is very poor (for that hardware):

LWS=64 GWS=262144 (4096 blocks) DONE
Speed for cost 1 (iteration count) of 5000
Raw:	65372 c/s real, 5242K c/s virtual

It also works for me on Tahiti with this ancient driver:

    Device #0 (3) name:     Tahiti
    Board name:             AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
    Device vendor:          Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Device type:            GPU (LE)
    Device version:         OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1642.5)
    Driver version:         1642.5 (VM) - Catalyst 14.12(Omega) [supported]

delivering a saner speed (for that hardware):

LWS=64 GWS=262144 (4096 blocks) DONE
Speed for cost 1 (iteration count) of 5000
Raw:	51150 c/s real, 2621K c/s virtual

Generally, I'd have suggested that you try recent AMD ROCm, but googling
for it along with Hawaii suggests that combination might not work well.

Since Hawaii is similar to Tahiti, I guess downgrading the "driver" to
what I had above would work for this specific format, but might not be
the best option overall.

(The best option being avoiding AMD GPUs because their "drivers" are so
problematic.)

Alexander