Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 14:50:45 +0200
From: Johny Krekan <krekan@...nykrekan.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: decryption without original password

Hello, I have a few questions for experienced people who are interested
in cryptography
I have tryed Advanced office password breaker. It is product from
Elcomsoft which can break 40-bit encryption

which is used in Word/Excel versions 97/2000. It decrypts document
without recovering the actual password. It

recovers the key which is generated from the password.
1. Is doing something like this possible with John on old office documents?
more interesting thing:
I have read on :

http://lastbit.com/express-recovery.asp
That they are able to recover the password which was used to protect the
document as well as the document

itself. I assume the key recovery process is similar to Advanced Office
password breaker but:
2. What method do you think they are using to recover the original
password? Regular bruteforce/dictionary?

They mention that it can happen that they will recover some password
that will look quite unusual but will be

usable to open the file as well as the original passwordd. Is this
because the 40 bit key is too short?
3. What other hash types are vulnerable so it is possible to find
password which is much different from

original but it will allow to decrypt protected resource?
Thanx for information
Johny Krekan