Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 14:41:46 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Session Archive. Where?

On Tue, May 05, 2020 at 12:36:51PM +0200, MA40 wrote:
> I'm interested to see what is saved in the session file in case I can get
> an idea of where the attack is going.
>
> For example, this is the content of a file from a session of mine: (Can
> someone briefly explain what each line means?)

The session recovery files are meant to be machine-readable, not
human-readable.  While you could make sense of their individual lines if
you really had to, there's a better option:

I suggest that instead you locate and view the corresponding .log file,
which should give you "an idea of where the attack is going."  This
should be a file in the same location and of the same name, except with
the .log suffix in place of .rec.

I hope this helps.

Alexander