Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 23:05:38 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Session Archive. Where?

Hi,

On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 08:12:42PM +0200, MA40 wrote:
> In the John the Ripper documentation it states that the session state is
> saved in the file "John's home directory/john.rec".
>
> I have John the Ripper installed in Windows in the directory
> "john-1.9.0-jumbo-1-win64" and, neither in that directory, nor in the
> "john-1.9.0-jumbo-1-win64/run/" there is no file named "john.rec". Could it
> be called another way?

For you, the file is supposed to be in john-1.9.0-jumbo-1-win64/run.  If
you specified an alternative session name with "--session", that will be
the filename, with the ".rec" suffix added to it.

Why are you looking for that file?  Normally, you'd just use
"--restore", or alternatively the combination of "--session=NAME"
initially and "--restore=NAME" later, where "NAME" is a name of your
choice.  On "--restore", JtR itself will look for the file in the same
directory where it put it.

Oh, I now recall you had mentioned you use Johnny.  I've never used
Johnny for real myself (beyond brief testing), but I suspect it might
override the session name or session file location by default.  I hope
someone with Johnny experience will follow-up and let us all know.

Alexander