Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 13:42:04 +0200
From: Jirka Vejrazka <jirka.vejrazka@...il.com>
To: Morgan Woodward <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Reduce CPU load. Is it possible?

There is a setting in john.conf that asks JtR to only use CPU cycles that
would otherwise be idle. It's set to "on" by default. So your CPU is at max
usage (that's a good thing for password cracking!) but if any other program
needs the CPU time, JtR will step aside.

Why would you want to throttle to 80% CPU usage? If you are worried about
temperatures or noise, you should probably move the password cracking
job(s) to a different hardware. Most crackers are written in a way that
squeezes as much power from existing hardware as possible to speed up the
cracking.

Your other option is to limit number of cores on multi-core system - that
would reduce the overall system CPU usage (and slow down cracking).

  HTH

   Jirka