Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 20:16:47 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Bitcoin and John the Ripper - Algorithm update. When?

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 07:34:06PM +0200, MA40 wrote:
> With John the Ripper you can find the passwords for the "wallet.dat" file
> hashes. The private keys of the Bitcoins that the owner of the file owns
> are encrypted in these files.
>
> The hashes of the "wallet.dat" files are recorded using two different
> algorithms:
>
>       - One results in hashes starting with "$bitcoin$96$..." (This is the
> old one).
>
>       - And the other, (the modern one), results in hashes starting with
> "$bitcoin$64$...".

This is the same algorithm with a different parameter value: length of
included data.  We've switched to including less data as part of Dhiru
Kholia's commit in 2018 (thus, prior to release of JtR 1.9.0-jumbo-1),
"Generate less revealing hashes for Bitcoin wallets (#3290)".  We've
started generating even less revealing "hashes" in bleeding-jumbo after
the 1.9.0-jumbo-1 release, but that's a separate story.  Those even
newer "hashes" are supposed to also be supported by 1.9.0-jumbo-1 and
even older.  We didn't break compatibility.

> The latest version of John the Ripper (v-1.9.0), which is from April 12,
> 2019, only works with the old algorithm.

What makes you think so?  My understanding is that 1.9.0-jumbo-1, as
well as the truly latest code in bleeding-jumbo, are both supposed to
work with both of the above kinds of Bitcoin "hashes".

> Can the next version be expected to bring the modern algorithm built-in?
> When?

At least per my understanding, we already support all of this.

Alexander