Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 16:59:36 -0500
From: Kevin Yochum <kevin@...ewerx.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Can incremental mode be started in the middle?

I'm experimenting with cracking a hash with a password that is known to be
an apparently random mix of upper ASCII, lower ASCII, and digits. When I
start up a default incremental:Alnum session, it appears as though JtR
wants to start with the lower case alpha options, even English
approximations, first with a sprinkling of digits at the end only.

Is this Markov mode, even though I'm not telling JtR to use Markov on the
command line?

While these are possible solutions, for my test case, it is highly unlikely
that starting with all lower case will be the fastest solution. Rather than
start here, I'd like to start with a more random mix of upper and lower
ASCII and digits, then try all-lower options later, if needed. Is there any
way to tell JtR to start in the middle and work outward to the ends, or
something similar?