Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2020 08:27:48 +0530
From: Namita Diwedi <namita93diwedi@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Getting error while using john command

Hi Solar,
 I tried running commands as described by you.It started and since 9 days i
am running it continuously but no result so far.
Can you please tell if i miss something or it generally takes this much time
Attaching log file for your reference.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 8:39 PM Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> Hi Namita,
>
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 06:40:37PM +0530, Namita Diwedi wrote:
> >  While using  john.exe command i am getting error as
> >
> > Warning: invalid UTF-8 seen reading backup.rar
>
> This suggests that you're trying to run "john" on your RAR archive
> directly, which isn't supposed to work.  Instead, the commands should be
> something like:
>
> rar2john backup.rar > backup.txt
> john backup.txt
>
> > Warning: detected hash type "HMAC-SHA256", but the string is also
> > recognized as "HMAC-SHA512"
> > Use the "--format=HMAC-SHA512" option to force loading these as that type
> > instead
> > oracle: Input file is not UTF-8. Please use --input-enc to specify a
> > codepage.
> > Warning: only loading hashes of type "HMAC-SHA256", but also saw type
> > "HMAC-SHA224"
> > Use the "--format=HMAC-SHA224" option to force loading hashes of that
> type
> > instead
> > Error: UTF-16 BOM seen in input file.
>
> These messages will also go away when you use the programs properly.
>
> We could want to enhance "john" to detect common misuses like this and
> suggest usage of the proper *2john tool.  I'm afraid many people just
> leave "john" running in similar cases when they're not lucky enough to
> have tripped a fatal error like we see here.
>
> Unrelated, but reminded by the above:
>
> magnum, why is it that we care about character encodings of password
> hash files?  Should we?  I understand why we care about character
> encodings in wordlists, but not in password hash files.
>
> Also, why is seeing a UTF-16 BOM a fatal error?  Apparently, people are
> running into this once in a while - perhaps in misuses of the tools
> similar to the above (in which case it's good luck the error happens to
> be triggered), but maybe not always.
>
> Alexander

Content of type "text/html" skipped

Download attachment "john - Copy.rar" of type "application/octet-stream" (42414 bytes)