Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 15:56:53 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Error in john.conf at line 1

Hi Sam,

You tried to hijack an existing thread on this list to discuss your
unrelated issue.  Please don't do that again - when you bring up a new
topic, please send a message to the list address anew, not as a reply.
(However, when you actually reply to something relevant, do use the
reply feature.)  I ended up manually disconnecting your message from
that unrelated thread before approving your postings (am a moderator).

Please see below as it relates to your issue:

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 01:42:36PM -0700, sam harris wrote:
> Thanks for the reply...I will put an attachment in here.Its a simple
> command that use to work..It is a very simple password but can not crack it
> anymore.My password is "peach" , very straight forward but i keep getting
> the "error in john.config on line one" I have deleted John and reloaded it
> and works but only till I get another john.config error.

You're probably somehow corrupting the john.conf file.  Do you ever
specify that file name on the command line?  If so, stop doing that.

> Also...the.rec file sometimes is there and not

The .rec files are automatically deleted when the corresponding session
completes (and thus won't need to be continued).

Alexander