Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 14:48:31 -0700
From: Dan Tentler <dan@...nlabs.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Trouble with displaying cracked passwords

We're on an engagement, and we've been able to extract the credentials
out of the wordpress database for a blog the customer runs.
There are a few hundred hashes in here, and some of them appear to be
terrible stuff like 'password' and 'testtest' and whatnot.

Trouble is, when I handed them to jtr I just put a bunch of hashes in a
text file, and now I need to join the cracked password to the account
it's from for further processing. I figured since the cracked hashes
would land in john,pot, i could just create a new text file with
email:hash and aim jtr at that thing and it would say 'oh hey a bunch of
hashes I already cracked', and I could do something like john --show
filename.txt and it would give me email:pass, but no such luck.

It looks like the hash thats landing in john.pot isnt the same format
which is in the text file, which is REALLY WEIRD and I'm not sure what's
going on.

So I guess, tl;dr: it doesnt look like jtr handles the phpass hashes
very well? Any help would be appreciated.
running magnumripper jtr with a date of march 4th (I don't have the
exact git branch handy)

-Dan