Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 19:53:17 +0100
From: Albert Veli <albert.veli@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ZTEX 1.15y boards for sale

Hello, I bought three ZTEX boards from this seller.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 12:14 AM Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> Here's a picture of most of them:
> https://atw.hu/~koszik/a/ztex.jpg "
>
> Some boards on this picture look like ZTEX original, most others look
> like compatible US clones - but either kind should work fine with JtR.
>
> This was a while ago indeed, but now there's an eBay lot where someone
> also from Hungary (the same person?) offers these boards for $90 each:
>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZTEX-1-15y-Quad-Spartan-6-LX150-FPGA-Board-with-USB-2-miner-password-cracker/274232497040
>
> "ZTEX 1.15y Quad Spartan 6 LX150 FPGA Board with USB 2 - miner, password
> cracker
>
> Condition: Used
> there may be some dust on the device. if there are fans, those may need
> replacement. functionally tested, works as expected.

One original ZTEX board and two clones. All three worked great with john. I
just had to replace some of the fans and remove some dust. Did not try to
overclock, just used the default frequency.

When loading the bitstream I got a timeout error but the boards seems to
work anyway.

The downside is I payed shipping for all three cards even though they were
sent in the same package. On the other hand I got all cables and spacers
needed to get the boards running and that was worth the extra shipping
cost. 12V DC from a PSU (standard desktop computer power supply). Each
board uses up to 40w of power, less for most formats. So one PSU capable of
at least 150w is enough to feed all three boards. It is probably a good
idea not to use more than maybe 80% of the max power from the PSU. So a
750w PSU could feed around 15 boards. To use the PSU without a motherboard
it is probably necessary to use a paper clip to bridge two pins, like in
this picture: https://gpushack.com/blogs/news/43997828-psu-paper-clip-test

Regards,

Albert