Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 11:21:00 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Jonah Madden <jonahmadden@....net>
Cc: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John not showing cracked hash anywhere please help

Hi Jonah,

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 02:16:44PM -0700, Jonah Madden wrote:
> John is showing: DONE Session completed and when I type: C:\John\run>john ???show ???john.pot??? it says 0 hashes cracked, 0 left it took me four days to crack this hash how do I get it back?

The "--show" option accepts your password hash filename, not john.pot.
(It knows to read john.pot on its own, without you needing to tell it.)

So if you cracked your hash e.g. with:

john hash.txt

then to display the cracked password later you can use:

john --show hash.txt

Alternatively, you can look inside john.pot manually, e.g. with:

type john.pot

assuming that you're on Windows.

Alexander