Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 21:57:26 +0100
From: Philipp Sommer <john-user@...elsurfer.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JTR and OpenSSL

> Could you post "step by step" how to install correctly openSSL for JTR jumbo1.
> (There is tons of tutorials online, but generally do not works for JTR)

On macOS it would be the easiest using Homebrew for installing dependencies.

I guess, you can install Homebrew on your own - it's really straightforward. Official website is: http://brew.sh

After you have installed Homebrew just execute "brew install openssl".

I am not quite sure which other dependencies JtR has, but you can find nearly any library and/or tool within Homebrew - maybe even JtR itself.

> Ps: Why doesn't JTR install himself all the stuff it needs ???

Because you are not just trying to install JtR but compile it from source. So you are responsible for resolving dependencies based on which are mandatory and modules you want to get compiled into the final binary.

Keep in mind you also need a working compiler, e.g. XCode or XCode-Comandline-Tools.