Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 15:36:34 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Question regarding new decryptum devices.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 01:41:19PM +0100, Johny Krekan wrote:
> Hello, I was quite surprised by the performances offered by the new
> devices which are offered by Passware for their products:
>

> https://passware.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=146a21ba73b9d3f2ba4b60b47&id=0e480ed878&e=023f7021ef
>
> What do you think of those solutions? Is there any chance that John will
> support them?

These look like fine GPU rigs, and should be readily supported by John.

> Is there a price advantage of them against the standard GPUS?

They are GPUs.  The only non-standard thing is the rig assembly, with
liquid cooling.

I expect these to cost more, including per hash rate achieved, than a
GPU rig you'd build yourself would cost.  Passware got to make a profit.

These GPU rigs are for government and large corporate customers, for
whom they may be more cost-effective than building GPU rigs in house.

Another company offering GPU rigs for password cracking is Terahash
(formerly Sagitta):

https://terahash.com

The performance is similar to Passware's, except that the largest rig by
Passware is larger (12x RTX 2080 Ti vs. 10x RTX 2080 non-Ti) and is
correspondingly slightly faster (255k vs. 189k at Office 2013, per these
companies' own benchmarks).  In fact, it's surprising the speedup is so
small, at only 35%.  The higher GPU count alone is 20%, the Ti should
provide a lot more on top of that, and liquid cooling was supposed to
provide more - but this is somehow not seen here.  Maybe Passware's
software is less optimal than hashcat, or maybe the rig produces so much
heat that the GPUs run at a lower clock rate even with liquid cooling.

Alexander