Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 18:42:44 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR doesn't detect NVIDIA OpenCL devices

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 05:23:58PM +0000, David Taylor wrote:
> I have installed john on a clean Debian 9 machine which has 8 NVIDIA GPUs.
> I've installed per these instructions
> ( https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/blob/bleeding-jumbo/doc/INSTALL-UBUNTU )
> and all tests pass.
>
> When I run ./john --list=opencl-devices I get the errors:
> Error: No OpenCL-capable platforms were detected by the installed OpenCL driver.
> Error: No OpenCL-capable devices were detected by the installed OpenCL driver.

You need to install the proprietary NVIDIA driver, on its own or as part
of CUDA.  You can take either off the NVIDIA website.

I don't know what the nvidia-opencl-dev package on Debian brings with
it.  Perhaps it did bring you some version of CUDA already, but perhaps
not the driver.

You need to ensure the proprietary driver takes priority over the free
driver "nouveau", if that one is loaded on your system by default.  You
might need to blacklist "nouveau" for that, and reboot.

You can use the "lsmod" command to see what driver is loaded - it should
list "nvidia", and should not list "nouveau".

Alexander