Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 08:22:59 +0300
From: Xosted <xosted@...diron.com>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: John doesn't detect my second graphics card

Hello Alexander,
Thank you for your answer. If I remember correctly,  this is an incremental attack against a 7zip file. It has now been running for about 110 days.

Actually, is there a way to "interrogate " a rec file so it reveals the exact parameters it was launched with? Maybe even getting the exact command line?

Sorry if the following doesn't make sense, I'm just thinking out loud:
Do you think it would be possible or useful to have a resource pool architecture added to John? The advantage would of course be to solve cases like mine.
Also, Correct me if I'm wrong but at the moment, I can use either of my graphics card or CPU but not both in an attack. By decoupling the attack and the resource on which it runs, maybe it would be possible to run attacks on heterogeneous pools? Port an attack from one system to another and have it continue in another pool rather than start again? Take advantage of temporarily available extra resources or survive the permanent disappearance of a resource?

I have little knowledge of the attack world so again, sorry if it doesn't make sense.

---- On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 18:13:22 +0300 solar@...nwall.com wrote ----

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 08:42:35AM +0300, Xosted wrote:
> I have a long time running task which I have used a session for. Will I be able to restore the session for it to use both devices? Will I be forced to restart from scratch?

Unfortunately, we have no supported way of upgrading a session to use
additional OpenCL devices. However, rather than restart from scratch,
you can probably come up with another reasonable attack to run on your
second GPU, with little overlap with the already running attack. If you
show what your existing attack is and how far it has progressed, we
might be able to suggest how to use your second GPU best.

Alexander