Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 16:49:37 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Trouble cracking with MD5+Salt

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 10:31:25AM -0400, Rich Rumble wrote:
> Thanks! It turned out to be -format=Dynamic_12, and I'm getting around
> 60p/s per thread...

This suggests you have about 100k different salts, right?

> is Dynamic_* implemented in GPU?

No.

> Mybb/IPB hash is just md5 a few times,

Yes.

> which is implemented in GPU for jtr,

No, it currently is not.  Oh, you mean MD5 on its own?  Then yes.

> would I need to make
> a kernel or anything to take advantage of my other hardware?

Yes, or use hashcat.  Apparently, this is "-m 2811" there.

I suggest you run CPU attacks on these hashes with JtR, and GPU attacks
with hashcat.  If you have the corresponding usernames (or better yet,
even more user-specific info) and put them into the right fields (mimic
Unix /etc/passwd), then JtR's "--single" will be quite effective.

Alexander