Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 22:06:57 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Unable to use OpenCL on arm64v8/debian stretch

> On 2019-06-13 15:08, billwhittaker@...e-mail.net wrote:
> >When I run, as in README-OPENCL,
> >../run/john --test --format=wpapsk-opencl

What happens if you test another format, e.g. md5crypt-opencl, or try
testing them all with "--format=opencl"?  This will tell us whether the
problem is format-specific or not.

Also, are you able to use OpenCL on this system from any other program?

> >../run/john --test --format=wpapsk-opencl --device=0

We've recently (shortly before the 1.9.0-jumbo-1 release) switched to
1-based device numbering, so there's no device 0 anymore.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 08:30:38PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> Before we even start to think about that, you need to upgrade to latest
> release, which is 1.9.0-jumbo-1. If you still have problems after that,
> please repost.

magnum, I see no reason to think the above wasn't already with
1.9.0-jumbo-1.  In fact, the mention of "ASIMD" suggests it was with a
revision very close to 1.9.0-jumbo-1 even if not the release exactly.
(We sort of mistakenly reported Aarch64's SIMD as NEON before.)

Alexander