Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 11:46:36 -0500
From: Adam Lininger <arlininger@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Issues cracking an ssh key

All,

I've got an encrypted ssh private key. I've managed to use ssh2john to
convert it and seem to have a crack (using --format=ssh-opencl).
However, the resulting passphrase doesn't decrypt the key. Instead
openssl errors out.

When I use --format=ssh and a fresh pot file, the same passphrase does
NOT appear to crack the key. What's odd is that the ssh format warns
about false positives and keeps going while ssh-opencl does not.

For context, I'm using bleeding-jumbo, commit
97cce637cdf3796fc2a1b28117dfad4272a9e99f.

Any thoughts?

Adam