Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 08:42:48 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: can't use $JOHN

On 2019-02-07 14:21, Micha Borrmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using the bleeding version of john on Linux. There is no problem with compiling, but I can't use $JOHN it means, I have to call the executable everytime with the full path.
> $JOHN is defined, but nothing will be found

In the docs and eg. in our config files, $JOHN is referring to the "run"
directory but has nothing to do with environment variables even if it
resembles one.

A normal build is meant to be run as eg. "cd /path/to/john/run" and then
"./john". There's also "system-wide builds" recommended for distros,
where john's run directory is eg. "/usr/share/john/run" and john will be
in PATH. Distros are also supposed to build fallback binaries, so the
same "john" executable is used regardless of you having AVX-512 or
anything down to just plain SSE2.

See for example doc/README-DISTROS

magnum