Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 12:14:44 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: creating custom.chr

Hi Powen,

On Sun, Feb 03, 2019 at 09:40:15PM -0500, Powen Cheng wrote:
> I'm having trouble creating a new custom.chr file.Can someone tell me how
> to create one with only these letters/number/chars?
>
> 012347
> BCMPT
> ackpswz
> !@#$)&
>
> It will be total of 24 possible characters to use for brute force.
> Honestly, I forgot how I was able to create the custom.char with john.pot
> the very first time awhile back.

You almost certainly don't need to generate a custom.chr file, unless
and until you have more than merely a set of possible characters (but
also probable substrings, etc.)  For a mere set of possible characters,
please use mask mode instead.  You can do it with:

./john -2='012347BCMPTackpswz!@#$)&' --mask='?2' --min-length=6 --max-length=8 pw

(or with whatever password lengths you actually need to test, etc.)

I hope this helps.

Alexander